I just got back from an AMAZING vacation in Australia! I spent 4 days in Sydney, 4 in Melbourne and even got a taste of China (our plane connected through Shanghai).
I visited the Blue Mountains, saw the Phillips Island Penguin Parade, climbed the Sydney Habour Bridge, drove the Great Ocean Road, celebrated Australia Day (Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi! Oi! Oi!), and went to the Australian Open.
Here are some things I learned during my trip down under:
1. The locals call it 'Stralia
2. Thongs = Flip Flops, not panties... whoops!
3. Bring cash. I used my credit card, everyone else seemed to use cash and seemed annoyed that I prefered plastic.
4. Trucker hats and tank tops are still cool for guys to wear (apparently they are a little behind in style)
5. Brekkie = Breakfast
6. Everyone says 'No Worries' (I think they stole it from me)
7. 'Give her/him/the koala a cuddle' = Hugging or snuggling up to someone
8. Fly as direct if you can.. we took China Eastern Airlines. It wasn't a bad airline, but it was a really looong trip! 14 hour flight from LA, then 10 to Sydney! YIKES
9. The public transportation is really good.
10. Sign up for Aussie Groupon to get the deals on tours.
11. Hotels in China come stocked with gas masks
12. Australia is the only place in the world where McDonald's has adopted the local nickname, it's changing store names to 'Maccas'