Fred Shapiro, associate librarian at Yale Law School, has released his seventh annual list of the most notable quotes of the year. Here's what made the list in 2012 ...
1. "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims ... These are people who pay no income tax ... and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." –Mitt Romney, Boca Raton, Florida, May 17th.
2. "We took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet [in Massachusetts]. I went to a number of women's groups and said, 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women." –Mitt Romney, Hempstead, N.Y., October 16th.
3. "If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business – you didn't build that." –Barack Obama, Roanoke, Virginia, July 13th.
4. "Please proceed, Governor." –Barack Obama, Hempstead, N.Y., October 16th.
5. "You mentioned the Navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets because the nature of our military has changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines." –Barack Obama, Boca Raton, Florida, October 22
6. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." –Missouri senatorial candidate Todd Akin, August 19th.
7. "You hit a reset button for the fall campaign; everything changes. It's almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again." –Romney senior campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, March 21st.
8. "I'm an honorary consul general, so I have inviolability." –Socialite Jill Kelley, Tampa, Florida, November 11th.
9. "Oppan Gangnam style." –South Korean rapper PSY, "Gangnam Style" (song)
10 (tie). "Under current law, on January 1st, 2013, there is going to be a massive fiscal cliff of large spending cuts and tax increases." –Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, February 29th.
10 (tie). "I care more about my country than I do about a 20-year-old pledge." –Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), November 21st.
10 (tie). "I have a job to do ... If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics, then you don't know me." –New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, October 30th.